There are about 6 times in my life thus far that I can say a beauty product made time literally stand still for me, as I had an “OMG I NEED this!!” reaction after trying it. I can now add #7 to that list…L’Oreal Paris Root Cover Up was a game changer for me during the last 2 weeks prior to my next haircut and color. I usually push my limit for time in between appointments, with getting all-over color every 8 weeks. Depending on how fast my hair grows, my roots can look pretty darn gross around week 6 or 7. The other fun factor for me this last round was that I was traveling to Las Vegas for a weekend getaway before I was able to get in for my appointment. And let’s face it – getting dolled up for great dinners and shows does NOT do you any justice if your gray roots are showing. And lucky me, my roots were going strong in their au naturel glory. So, I saw this the last time I was at ULTA, and decided to give it whirl to help save my style during vacation.
Based on the color range and use instructions on the back, the shade I selected was Light Golden Brown for my hair color. The bottle size is perfect for travel, per TSA guidelines. And, more importantly, the application method looked super easy – basically, it’s point and spray to apply.
The formula is peroxide-free, ammonia-free, and does not have any synthetic dyes. Plus, the color lasts between shampoos! Here’s a few tips that I found worked best for application and styling:
- Wash and condition hair as normal, and towel-dry.
- Apply a heat or hydrating style treatment, then air or blow-dry.
- Once hair is dry, style as needed with heat.
- Section the top layers of hair at the crown, and spray directly at the roots – about 6 inches away. I use my other hand to shield my forehead as needed.
- Color will dry down after about 1 minute, but I found you can still move and separate hair during this time to apply where needed – it’s not sticky.
- After application, I then brush lightly and style as I want, and apply hairspray. I found that this also “locks” the color into place.
I was amazed at how naturally the spray color blended into my hair, and immediately covered my roots. My hair looked so much better, considering I had almost 8 weeks of out-growth at the top of my head. The other plus is that I didn’t see any color transfer onto my pillowcases – I was able to maintain my washing every other day routine, without fear of color fading or staining the bed linens.
This product retails just over $10, and is super concentrated. I found that a little goes a long way, and much was easier to apply than a brush-on powder or a mascara wand-like liquid formula. Also, it doesn’t add any weight or dry stiffly – it moves with your own hair. I’m keeping a bottle stocked in my bathroom, and the size easily fits into any gym bag or carry-on for travel. This is truly one of the best beauty-emergency or fix-it products that I’ve come across in a long time!
© 2017 28daysbeauty