Some people ask me how my skin has stayed “young looking”, despite the fact that I’m old enough to say that I’ve survived multiple layoffs, divorce, various traffic tickets, and rotary-dial phones. Well, the answer is that I’ve moisturized my face daily for the past 19 years with an SPF 15 moisturizer. Some will say “oh sure, but you used to work in a spa, had peels, yada yada, etc”. Well, yeah, true, but I also have incredibly sensitive skin that often cannot take that many treatments overall. So, therefore, the one thing that remains constant is the SPF factor. And it’s not even a high SPF. Studies have shown that SPF over 30 is basically unnecessary. You aren’t really going to get that much more protection the higher you go. But the product I credit the majority of my skincare success to, and recommend to everyone I know, is Olay Complete all day moisturizer with Sunscreen (SPF 15) – Sensitive skin verison. Why? Well, I consider it my gold-standard day moisturizer for many reasons:
- Broad spectrum protection – it will combat both types of UV Rays
- Oil-Free – doesn’t create shine, and makes a great base for foundation
- Vitamin E – natural antioxidant and essential for healthy skin cell reproduction
- Can be used on the whole body – for real, I use this to moisturize my arms, neck, chest, and my legs in summer. Just pack one face/body moisturizer for day use on a trip and you are covered for your SPF protection too!
- It’s effective and inexpensive – seriously, this doesn’t cost all that much. In a pinch, I buy the Up & Up Target generic brand verison if they are sold out of the original – just as good!
- The sunscreens are non-irritating – this is the biggest win, as there is a lot of controversy over the use of sunscreens and their chemical compounds
- No fragrance – most important factor for sensitive skin, as fragrance is a known allergen
No matter your skin type (oily, dry, combination), this moisturizer does a fantastic job. Plus, it’s practically avavilable everywhere. Dermatologists also vehemently support the use of a daily SPF moisturizer year-round, and I can say I am living proof that it works. Especially as summer approaches, I recommend getting into the daily habit of applying this product!